OSP Design Engineer & Planner
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Range & Benefits: Competitive/Full benefits package
General Job Description:
This is a skilled position with technical work performed both in the office and out in the field providing supervision, leadership, and expertise in support, analysis and design of the fiber network installations. The individual appointed will prepare high level estimates, proposals, and designs. Assist and coordinate with OSP Engineering Manager, UTOPIA sales, and UTOPIA operations with potential and requested build opportunities. Assist with installations of business and residential customers. Reviews construction plans, design maps, specifications, permits, and other plans affecting assigned projects. Participates in meetings to discuss construction details and resolves issues with contractors and other agencies. Monitors the correction of project deficiencies. Identifies and recommends approval of necessary contract and/or plan adjustments to accommodate field conditions. Assists in the preparation of responses for Request for Proposals including documentation for oral presentations if required.
- Requires 5+ years working in the telecommunications industry
- Prefer minimum 3 year’s experience working directly with fiber optic projects
- Working knowledge with minimum 3+ years direct experience as a OSP design engineer and planner
- Prefer bachelor’s degree in civil engineering
- Knowledge of fiber to the premise (FTTX) construction and design
- Knowledge of telecommunication industry standards
- Understanding of AC and DC power system design
- Internal CAT 5/6 cabling and termination in including experience pulling cable through ladder rack, walls, conduit, etc.
- Installation and maintenance of large capacity fiber cables, ring cut and splice in enclosures, pigtail assemblies, patch panels, etc.
- Racking network equipment and fiber termination panels
- Experience with construction methods running fiber optic cable from outside facilities to inside facilities
- Experience with ticketing systems, chat and text systems, email systems, Microsoft Word and Excel or Google docs, etc.
- Customer service skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Effective communication both verbally and written
- Understanding of ROW utility layout, utility features and markings
- Reading and drafting profiles
- Pole loading and aerial design
- Underground fiber design
- Utility research
- UTDOT utility construction standards, i.e. min depth of cover, separation standards, etc.
- Networking hardware fundamentals such as routers, switches, network interface port capacities, copper versus fiber, firewalls, VPN appliances, etc.
- IP based telecommunication delivery using methodologies such as TLS, SD-WAN, DIA, BGP, IP, L2-VPN, L3-VPN, VPLS, Dedicated or Shared Bandwidth, Committed Bandwidth versus Burstable bandwidth, DSL, DOCSIS, GPON, TDM type circuits, VoIP, etc.
- Wave services using CWDM/DWDM technologies
- Uninterruptible power supply systems (UPS)
- Advanced proficiency with AutoCad, ArcGIS, Google Earth or similar to review design plans
- Drafting and Documenting fiber/conduit routes
- Strong public relations and interpersonal skills and ability to exercise independent judgment and personal initiative in decision making
- Ability to work with speed and accuracy to meet deadlines
- GIS Experience
- Based on meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge and education
- Criminal background checks are conducted on all UTOPIA positions; non-disclosure may result in dismissal
- Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment
- Must be able to pass a color blindness test (Ishihara test)
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds
- Some travel required to network locations/customer sites
- Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening and background investigation.