GIS Tech 1 (Internal Posting)
Job Type: Full-Time
General Job Description:
This is an entry level position with technical work performed in the field or office providing supervision, leadership, and expertise in support of a variety of technical projects and involves the operation, maintenance, coordination, and analysis of GIS and/or CAD systems and related infrastructure in the field. The individual appointed to this position will be required to perform the following duties: Assist other technicians, analysts, and project managers with the creation, editing, and production of various maps, related geographic database information, and GIS tools and products. Assist in the development of geographic database structures, tables, forms, and reports. Assist with user requests for standard or custom maps, charts, graphs, GIS analysis, GIS projects, and related information. Read and interpret source documents, such as civil engineering plans, plot maps, and legal descriptions. Participate, as needed, in meetings with stake-holders and other information technology staff to fully understand expected project outcomes. Perform field collection using GPS units and/or GPS desktop applications. Assist with contractor invoicing as it relates to GIS. Perform other duties as required.
- GIS Tech 1: Associates degree in GIS, Drafting, or Design Technology, Geography, Information Systems or closely related field;
- OR: one year of job related experience which must have included the use of GIS or CAD system; OR an equivalent combination of job-related education/experience (substituting one year of post-secondary education/training for six months of experience)
- Understanding of and proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS technologies
- Understanding of fiber optic terminology including cable, splice schematic, splice case, etc.
- Understanding of underground construction as it relates to utility infrastructure
- Understanding of and proficiency with Fiber Management Systems such as 3GIS or OSP Insight
- Spreadsheets and word processors
- Windows operating systems
- Network systems
- Other CAD or GIS related computer programs
- Operation of plotters, printers, scanners, digitizers
- Understanding of operation, function, and theories and terminology common to GIS or CAD practices
- Modern RDBMS and can formulate basic to intermediate SQL queries; basic programming methods, operations, and work-flows
- Map coordinate systems, projections, and cartographic principles
- Coordinate, organize, and implement all GIS needs
- Learn and keep current with technological advances
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the public, coworkers, and supervisors
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Work requires sitting and/or standing at a drafting table and or computer for extended periods of time
- Position may require work outdoors in extreme heat or cold temperatures, heavy traffic, rough terrain of unimproved roads and trenches and the emotional stress of the work environment
- Position may require lifting and removing type 3 concrete polymer hand hold lids
- Position may require climbing a ladder to access aerial pole infrastructure
- Position may require walking, stretching, bending, and carrying heavy equipment (20-50 lbs)
Screening & Pre-Employment Testing:
- Based on meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge and education.
- Criminal background checks are conducted on all UTOPIA Fiber positions; non-disclosure may result in dismissal.
- Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening and background investigation.
- Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment. Applicant may be disqualified on the basis of an unacceptable driving record as reflected by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Salary rate depends on applicant qualifications. This is a UTOPIA Fiber full-time salary position and includes UTOPIA Fiber benefits package including URS retirement plan, health insurance with HSA option, dental insurance, and several other benefits. Cell-phone allowance is also available for this position.