Inside Plant (ISP) Telecommunication Technician
Internal Posting, Current Employees Only
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Range/Benefits: Competitive/Full benefits package
General Job Description:
This position involves technical work performed both in the office and out in the field providing installation and support of the fiber network installations as it relates to Central Office Environments, Hut and Cabinet Sites, which includes but not limited to DC and AC power installation, batteries, power plants, cabling, fiber work, optical equipment, Aux-Framing build-outs, etc. for various requested telecommunications projects.
The candidate will assist and coordinate with ISP Engineering Manager, Network Engineering, OSP Engineering Manager and UTOPIA Operations with potential and requested build opportunities.
Assist with installations of business and residential customers. Reviews construction plans, design maps, specifications, permits, and other plans affecting assigned projects.
Participates in meetings to discuss construction details and resolves issues with contractors and other agencies. Monitors the correction of project deficiencies. Identifies and recommends approval of necessary contract and/or plan adjustments to accommodate field conditions.
Assists in the preparation of responses for Request for Proposals (RFP) including documentation for oral presentations if required.
Potential candidate will coordinate with and assist with management of third party contractors.
The potential candidate will be responsible for the start and completion of each project, must result in a quality, on time, and a profitable product.
- Requires High school or equivalent
- Vocational/ Technical/ Business School desired including certifications
- Prefer minimum 1 year of experience involved with telecommunications
- Knowledge of fiber to the home construction and design a plus
- Prefer knowledge of telecommunication industry standards
- Prefer understanding of AC and DC power system design
- Prefer the ability to install and maintain power generation equipment
- An ability to follow and present a Method Of Procedure (MOP)
- Internal CAT 5/6 and fiber optic cabling and termination in including experience pulling cable through ladder rack, walls, conduit, etc.
- Installation and maintenance of large capacity fiber cables, ring cut and splice in enclosures, pigtail assemblies, patch panels, etc.
- Racking telecommunication equipment
- Experience with construction methods running fiber optic cable from outside facilities to inside facilities
- Experience with ticketing systems, chat and text systems, email systems, Microsoft Word and Excel or Google docs, etc.
- Customer service skills
- Handling confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Strong documentation skills
- Effective communication both verbally and written
- Prefer those with uninterruptible power supply systems installation and maintenance (UPS); manufacturer certifications a plus but not required
- Strong public relations and interpersonal skills and ability to exercise independent judgment and personal initiative in decision making
- Ability to work with speed and accuracy to meet deadlines
- Based on the meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge and education
- Criminal background checks are conducted on all UTOPIA positions; non-disclosure may result in dismissal
- Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment
- Must be able to pass a color blindness test (Ishihara test)
- Walking, prolonged standing, and carrying heavy equipment
- Must be able to lift 70 pounds
- Some travel required to network locations/customer sites
- Some after hours work
- Exposure to mechanical, electrical, and/or other hazards
- Use of hand tools, and power tools as required for the job
- Exposure to noisy and dusty conditions
- Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening and background investigation