Smart City Engineer
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Range/Benefits: Competitive/Full Benefits Package
General Job Description:
The Smart City Engineer fulfills the role of an IT Systems Integrator, but with an emphasis on Smart City applications. The Smart City Engineer’s primary responsibilities are to develop, implement, and maintain various smart city applications across multiple cities. The Smart City Engineer will work primarily in an office environment with some local travel for demonstrations, sales, system installations, and support. The Smart City Engineer will be responsible for the end-to-end operations of various smart city applications. The Smart City Engineer will be responsible for documenting and training others on the applications so that they can be supported and monitored by other UTOPIA Fiber resources including network engineering, field services, and network operations technicians.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science or related field strongly preferred
- 4 years or more of job related experience preferred in Information Technology role including coding, server deployment/support, databases, virtualization, networking
The Smart City Engineer will initially report to the Executive Director. The position may also report to Network Engineering or Information Technology teams.
IT related certifications are desired but not required
- Must be able to deploy, configure, and support servers
- Must be proficient in Windows and Linux operating systems
- Must be able to configure networks with understand IP addressing, subnetting, routing
- Must be able to configure and support VPNs and firewalls
- Must be able to configure and support various IT devices including WiFi routers and access points, IP cameras, sensors, remote power strips, terminal servers, etc.
- Must be able to set up and manage virtualization platforms, and utilize cloud based server platforms
- Must be able to communicate technical concepts
- Must be able to install equipment including rack-mounting of servers, network equipment, running cables, terminating cabling, climbing ladders for mounting devices on walls/ceilings
- Must be able to do a limited amount of travel to local cities (generally within Utah)
- Must be able to lift up to 50 Lbs.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office tools
- Must be able to meet with and present information in a professional manner
- Must have excellent communication, documentation and written skills
- Must maintain active driver license and maintain a driving record insurable under UTOPIA Fiber’s insurance coverage
The Smart City Engineer will work generally in a desk/cubicle environment at the UTOPIA Fiber office in Murray, Utah. Occasional travel to various local cities is expected for presenting, consulting, and implementing various IT and smart city applications. Use of a personal vehicle is expected, but UTOPIA Fiber provides vehicle reimbursement to cover gas and vehicle wear/tear. The position is salary based and expected be at least 40 hours of work per week. The schedule will be flexible but will generally cover business hours. Additional hours or work during off-hours is required in the event of outages, off-hours change window, emergency, or project deadline.
The Smart City Engineer will be expected to submit regular reports of performance and progress on various projects, as well as providing for metrics reporting for various smart city applications.
- Based on meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge, and education
- Criminal background checks are conducted on all UTOPIA Fiber positions; non-disclosure may result in dismissal
- Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment
- Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening test
Salary rate depends on applicant qualifications. This is a UTOPIA Fiber full-time salary position and includes UTOPIA Fiber benefits package including URS retirement plan, health insurance with HSA option, dental insurance, and several other benefits. Cell-phone allowance is also available for this position.