Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Range/Benefits: Competitive/Full benefits package
General Job Description:
This is a skilled position with technical work performed both in the office and out in the field providing supervision, leadership, and expertise in support, analysis and design of the fiber to the premise network installations. The individual appointed will prepare high level estimates, proposals, designs for customers that request services from UTOPIA. Assist and coordinate with UTOPIA sales team, UTOPIA operations, service providers and customers for potential and requested build opportunities. Assist with customers and their needs. Assist with installations of business and residential customers. Assigns high level fiber assignments, physical network interface ports, VLANs, etc., to proposed builds. Reviews construction plans, design maps, specifications, permits, and other plans affecting assigned projects. Participates in meetings to discuss construction details and resolves issues with contractors and other agencies. Monitors the correction of project deficiencies. Identifies and recommends approval of necessary contract and/or plan adjustments to accommodate field conditions. Assists in the preparation of responses for Request for Proposals including documentation for oral presentations if required.
- Requires Associate’s degree or higher, plus five years working in the telecommunications industry
- Prefer minimum 3 year’s experience working directly with fiber optic projects and/or minimum of 1 year experience working with fiber optic cable splicing and testing
- Working knowledge with minimum 2 year’s direct experience as a sales engineer
- Knowledge of fiber to the premise (FTTX) construction and design
- Knowledge of telecommunication industry standards
- Knowledge and experience with sales methodologies
- Understanding of AC and DC power system design
- Internal CAT 5/6 cabling and termination in including experience pulling cable through ladder rack, walls, conduit, etc.
- Installation and maintenance of large capacity fiber cables, ring cut and splice in enclosures, pigtail assemblies, patch panels, etc.
- Configuration, installation and maintenance of customer premise equipment including
- Racking network equipment and fiber termination panels
- Experience with construction methods running fiber optic cable from outside facilities to inside facilities
- Experience with operating standard hand tools.
- Experience with ticketing systems, chat and text systems, email systems, Microsoft Word and Excel or Google docs, etc.
- Customer service skills
- Effective communication both verbally and written
- Strong documentation skills
- Networking hardware fundamentals such as routers, switches, network interface port capacities, copper versus fiber, firewalls, VPN appliances, etc.
- IP based telecommunication delivery using methodologies such as TLS, SD-WAN, DIA, BGP, IP, L2-VPN, L3-VPN, VPLS, Dedicated or Shared Bandwidth, Committed Bandwidth versus Burstable bandwidth, DSL, DOCSIS, GPON, TDM type circuits, VoIP, etc.
- Cloud based solutions including SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS
- Wave services using CWDM/DWDM technologies
- Uninterruptible power supply systems (UPS)
- Ability to use AutoCad, Google Earth or similar to review design plans
- Strong public relations and interpersonal skills and ability to exercise independent judgment and personal initiative in decision making
- Ability to work with speed and accuracy to meet deadlines
- Based on the meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge and education
- Criminal background checks are conducted on all UTOPIA positions; non-disclosure may result in dismissal
- Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment
- Must be able to pass a color blindness test (Ishihara test)
- Must have 20/20 or correctable vision
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds
- Must be able to lift, carry, setup and climb 28 foot extension ladder
- Travel required to network locations/customer sites
- Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening and background investigation.