FIBER COMES HOME
FOR UNDERGROUND INSTALLATIONS
- After you’ve signed up for service, we’ll give you a quick call to schedule your installation appointment. Depending on availability, we’ll schedule a time to visit at least nine business days out. During the call, you can also schedule a walk-through with one of our technicians who can show you where the fiber line will run on your property. They will also determine where to install our equipment in your home. Walk-throughs are optional and free of charge.
- We will then notify Blues Stakes who will send a Utility Contractor to mark your property, this will generally happen within 48 hours of them being notified. This can be done before after your optional walk-through
- Our contractors determine the easiest path from our UTOPIA Fiber box to your home. They will then dig some bore pits, and use a missile bore to bury your conduit underground. On the day of your installation, our technicians will pull the fiber line from the UTOPIA Fiber utility box into your home, typically through the cold air return.
FOR OVERHEAD INSTALLATIONS
- After you’ve signed up for service, we’ll give you a quick call to schedule your installation appointment. Depending on availability, your appointment could be as soon as the next day.
- On the day of your installation, our technicians will pull the fiber line from the power poles into your home. Typically, the fiber line will enter your home where the power attaches.
ONCE YOUR FIBER LINE HAS BEEN PULLED
- A technician will install and mount an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) on the wall as well as a Telephone Adapter (TA), if ordered.
- We do not provide routers; however, if you are wanting Wi-Fi throughout your home and have already purchased your router, our technicians will gladly set it up for you. For router recommendations, click here.
- Our technician will then run a speed test and ensure everything is running properly before leaving your home.
Each potential UTOPIA Fiber address has been previously engineered and assigned as overhead or underground. How we run our fiber into your home typically is determined by how the power enters the home.
If your utilities run from power poles into your home, our crew will typically follow those power lines as well. Simple as that. Your installation can be scheduled as early as the next day depending on availability.
Two different crews will do the install in two steps. The first crew will trench and install conduit prior to the services installation. You do not need to be home for our crews to install conduit in your yard. The second crew will run the fiber from the UTOPIA Fiber box through the conduit to the inside of your home, usually through the cold air return, and install any necessary equipment in your home. They will also test your speeds to make sure everything is running smoothly and set up correctly.
You can check out some installation videos on our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/utahfiber.
An ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is the only standard equipment that we install. If you order telephone service, a Telephone Adapter (TA) will also be installed.
The only requirement is that we install the equipment near a power source. Aside from that, we recommend that it is installed out of the way, where it cannot be easily tampered with or damaged, but is still accessible to you or a technician. The ONT is mounted to the wall. Many times, we install in utility rooms, garages, and home offices.
The inside equipment covers roughly 16 x 12 inches.
1 fiber line will be run into each home. Standard installation includes 1 port for data, 1 port for phone, and 2 ports for video if those services are purchased from the service provider. Additional data drops/ports are not provided. Additional CAT5E cables are provided at $60 per cable. Standard installation does not include any wall “fishes”.
We use CAT5E wiring on the inside of your home. If you have your own CAT5E cable, our technician can test it to see if it is usable.
You can find a diagram of our conduit specs here.
Since your home already had fiber running to it in the past, you will most likely not need any work done outside of the home. If we can reach your equipment remotely, you may be able to sign up the same day. If we cannot reach your equipment remotely, a UTOPIA Fiber technician will come to your home and check if our fiber is still intact and replace any equipment if needed. This can be scheduled as early as next day depending on availability.
We recommend that you wait one business day AFTER installation to cancel your previous services, so that you can verify your new services are working correctly. Neither UTOPIA Fiber, nor your new provider has the authorization to cancel services with your previous provider. You, as the customer, must cancel them.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are porting a number and you cancel services prior to your number porting, you will lose your number.
If you want Wi-Fi running throughout your home, you will need a wireless router. UTOPIA Fiber does not provide routers so you will need to provide your own. For best results and to maximize your bandwidth, we recommend routers from Netgear and Linksys. For a list of specific recommended routers, click here Be sure to purchase a router capable of handling at least 1Gbps of speed.
After your installation is completed, you will be receiving two bills every month. One from UTOPIA Fiber and one from your ISP. If your connection has been paid off, you will only get a bill from your ISP. Typically, you will receive your first bill from your ISP about a week after installation; however, each ISP bills differently. You will need to contact them directly for their billing terms.
Your first bill with UTOPIA Fiber will be sent the first of the month following the installation. All UTOPIA Fiber bills will be sent to the email address you provided when you signed up, unless you have specifically requested a paper bill. Keep in mind, if you had the opportunity to choose the 10- or 20-year option in the past, you will be billed monthly by your city.
If you have questions before or during your installation, contact our Customer Service Department at 801-613-3880. If you have questions after your install, contact your ISP. They will be able to assist you with any issues you may be experiencing. You can find their contact information here.