Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Range/Benefits: Competitive/Full Benefits Package
General Job Description:
The Network Engineers work with the Network Operations Center (NOC), Field Services Group (FSG), and Customer Service Representatives (CSR) to solve operational issues, and respond to network outages. They will also work with the Network Engineering (NE) team to plan network maintenance to expand network capacity or address service impacting issues. The Network Engineers will also be responsible for the configuration standards for all devices on the UTOPIA Fiber network.
Performs additional duties as assigned by their supervisor
- Associates degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or related field
- Network Engineer 1: one to three years of job-related experience which must have included supporting a network system from a monitoring and configuration perspective; OR and equivalent combination of job-related education/experience (substituting one year of post-secondary education/training for six months of experience).
- Network Engineer 2: Three to five years of experience in a Network Operations Center or as a Network Engineer; OR an equivalent combination of job-related education/experience (substituting one year of post-secondary education/training for six months of experience).
- Senior Network Engineer: Five to ten years of experience in a Network Operations Center or as a Network Engineer; OR an equivalent combination of job-related education/experience (substituting one year of post-secondary education/training for six months of experience).
Candidates will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of the following areas
- Great Customer Service skills
- LAN/WAN design, maintenance and configuration
- L2 switching protocols such as VLANs (802.1q), RSTP, SPB or TRILL, PVSTP, MAC filters, Q in Q, etc.
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) operations
- Advanced understanding of open access models and network design from a fiber to the premise perspective
- Advanced understanding of the OSI troubleshooting model as it relates to Layers 1-4.
- Advanced troubleshooting skills of Layer 2 circuits from a customer device to a Service Provider NNI
- Advanced understanding of industry standards and practices for outage response standards and protocols
- Advanced understanding of optical transceivers and fiber optic cables used in an active Ethernet fiber to the premise perspectives
- Understanding of CWDM and DWDM technologies
- Understanding IGMP/Multicast troubleshooting as it relates to IPTV services
- Advanced abilities of configuration of edge devices from out of the box to production ready in an active Ethernet fiber to the premise perspective
- Working knowledge of MPLS configuration and protocol design including RSVP, LDP, BGP options for core and distribution devices
- Have an understanding of outside plant equipment installation standards
- Advanced abilities to troubleshoot Linux based systems including Linux firewalls (IPTables)
- Understanding of switching and routing protocols including VLANs (802.1q), OSPF, BGP, ISIS, QOS, Packets, Frames, etc.
- BGP for Internet Gateway and transit or peering connections
- Advanced knowledge of DHCP/DNS/NTP/SNMP
- Network troubleshooting skills including network analyzers, NSlookup, netstat, subnet calculators, ping, throughput testing, traceroute, fprobe, nfcapd, nfdump, etc.
- Typical office setting with typical climate controls. Tasks require a variety of physical activities such as walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, which do not generally require muscular strain. Extensive sitting and keyboard functions creating various degrees of eye-strain and muscle tension. Job functions normally require talking, hearing and seeing. Common eye, hand, finger dexterity required for most essential functions. Mental application utilizes memory for details, verbal instructions, emotional stability, discriminating thinking and guided problem solving. Periodic exposure to seasonal elements when local and regional travel is required to work at hut and cabinet locations.
- Network Engineers are assigned to an on-call rotation that may include work shifts that are after hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Based on meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge, and education
- Criminal background checks are conducted on all UTOPIA Fiber positions; non-disclosure may result in dismissal
- Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment
- Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening
Salary rate depends on applicant qualifications. This is a UTOPIA Fiber full-time salary position and includes UTOPIA Fiber benefits package including URS retirement plan, health insurance with HSA option, dental insurance, and several other benefits. Cell-phone allowance is also available for this position.