OSP Fiber Splicer 1 / Senior Splicer
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Range/Benefits: Competitive/Full benefits package
General Job Description:
This is a skilled, technical work performed in the field providing supervision, leadership, and expertise in support of constructing and assisting with maintenance of a fiber optic network plant. The individual appointed to this position will be required to perform the following duties: Construct and maintain the UTOPIA Fiber fiber optic network infrastructure. Respond to fiber damage and cuts. Installation and maintenance of fiber cables including splicing, splice enclosures, patch panels, pigtail assemblies, etc. Assist with installations of business and residential customers. Assist other technicians, analysts, engineers, and managers with reporting needs. Notify technical staff, management, and customers of issues that occur in the production infrastructure.
- Possess a High School diploma/GED or higher education
- Fiber Splicer 1: Minimum 3 years of job related experience which must have included constructing and maintaining a fiber optic network plant involving installation of fiber optic cable and splicing of said cable; OR an equivalent combination of job-related education/experience (substituting one year of post-secondary education/training for six months of experience).
- Senior Fiber Splicer: Minimum 5 years of job related experience which must have included constructing and maintaining a fiber optic network plant involving installation of fiber optic cable and splicing of said cable; OR an equivalent combination of job-related education/experience (substituting one year of post-secondary education/training for six months of experience).
- Knowledge of fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) construction and design
- Splicing using core alignment Single fiber splicer as well as ribbon splicers
- Must be able to lift, carry, setup and climb 28 foot extension ladder
- Must be able to lift and carry cable reels weighing up to 60 lbs.
- Bucket truck and aerial plant installation and maintenance
- CAT 5/6 cabling and termination
- Optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR)
- Experience with locating faults in fiber using red light, light meters, OTDR, etc.
- Installation of fiber cables including large capacity cables, lashing, pole attachment procedures, ring cut and splice in enclosures, pigtail assemblies, patch panels, etc.
- Maintenance of large capacity fiber cables, fiber splicing of large capacity cables, ring cut and splice in enclosures, pigtail assemblies, patch panels, etc.
- Configuration, installation, and maintenance of customer premise equipment including consumer grade wireless routers.
- Experience pulling cable through ladder rack, walls, conduit, etc.
- Racking of fiber termination panels
- Ability to operate power and standard hand tools.
- Experience with ticketing systems, chat and text systems, email systems, Microsoft Word, and Excel or Google docs
- Customer service skills
- Communication, documentation, and written skills
- Based on the meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge and education
- Criminal background checks are conducted on all UTOPIA Fiber positions; non-disclosure may result in dismissal
- Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment
- Work shift includes day, swing, or graveyards including weekends and holidays; some overtime required.
- Must be able to pass a color blindness test (Ishihara test)
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs
- Must be able to lift, carry, setup, and climb 28 foot extension ladder
- Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening and background investigation