Digital Resources at Your Local Library
January 7th, 2021
Libraries are one of our greatest tools in the fight to close the digital learning gap. Whether you’re an Internet expert or still learning the basics, we can all use some help navigating the digital landscape. Your local library is an excellent resource for digital tools that can help you work and learn from home. They offer essential public Wi-Fi and computer access, homework and career help, and even free activities to help keep you and your family entertained during this long winter quarantine. We’ve created this list of some of the digital library resources in our UTOPIA Fiber cities and beyond.
Brigham City, Tremonton, and Perry Public Libraries
- Offers free public Wi-Fi in their building during library hours that can also be accessed on personal devices from outside their building. You can find more information here.
- They also offer free audiobooks and eBook downloads with a library card.
- Their Brainfuse program offers many services such as free online career assistance and one-on-one tutoring for K-12 student’s homework help.
Davis County Library (Centerville, Clearfield, Layton, and West Point City)
- All Davis County Libraries offer free public Wi-Fi inside their buildings. They also provide computer access to community members.
- Check out their Stuck at Home page for eBooks and videos, Virtual Storytime, free activities for children, and more.
The County Library (Midvale and West Valley City)
- The County libraries in Midvale and West Valley City offer free Wi-Fi and public access computers.
- They have a database of virtual activities with thousands of activities including Dungeons and Dragons for teens, Teen virtual lounge, and many more.
- With your library card, you can access EBSCO journals, peer-reviewed titles, and Rosetta Stone. They also offer adult core skills online training– giving adults the resources to improve their skills in reading, writing, and math, prepare for the GED® test, or become a U.S. citizen.
Morgan County Library
- Morgan County Library offers access to Utah’s Online Library, which contains 55 databases including UtahFutures.org for free education, career planning, LearningExpress Library which has help for test preparation, downloadable e-books and audiobooks, and Auto Repair Source Tutorials for up-to-date service and car repair.
Murray Public Library
- The Murray City Public Library provides access to free public computers, Wi-Fi, and downloadable audiobooks and e-books.
- With a library card, you can access Rosetta Stone for language lessons, Creative bug, which has free arts & craft video classes taught by design experts and artists, and Hoopla, which allows you to borrow digital movies, music, and more.
Orem Public Library
- The Orem Public Library offers access to online resources such as downloadable media, Kids Early Learning Resources, Homework help, and more. Check out their digital library page to access these resources.
- They also do a virtual reading time for kids and Facebook Live events for kids. Check their Facebook and Instagram for more information.
Payson Public Library
- Payson City Public Library offers access to the Utah online library, which includes Auto Repair help, Children’s Homework Help, Dictionaries & Encyclopedias, Magazine & Newspaper Articles, and much more! Check out their resources page for more information.
- They also provide Digital escape room activities for families to keep busy at home. Check it out here.
- Payson Public Library has also provided this list of helpful online homework links. Check it out if you have students at home who could use some help!
Salt Lake City Public Library
(Embed this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4BKq1RzVfk&feature=emb_title)
- The Salt Lake City Public Library rents out free Wi-Fi hotspots that can help you connect to the Internet on the go or at home.
- They also offer wireless and 3D printing services, eBooks and audiobooks, research tools, and subscriptions to news sources like The New York Times.
- Check out their virtual events calendar to see their book clubs, workshops, community discussions, and other events taking place over Zoom.
- Need tech support while working and learning from home? Salt Lake City’s main library has digital navigators that can help! Community members in need of tech support can call the library’s main number (801-524-8200) for help and for general digital literacy training. For more information, check out this article.
Provo Public Library
- The Provo Library provides free digital books, audiobooks, magazines, music, craft tutorials, and more. Check out their digital downloads page for more information.
Have any questions? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you!